Sunday 28 September 2014

New story up on Popcorn Horror & the inspiration behind it

Popcorn Horror have kindly put another one of my stories up on their site:

http://popcornhorror.com/matter-destiny/

It's a gruesome tale set in two very different pubs in two contrasting parts of London. The inspiration for this story came on a recent visit to London's famous Theatreland. We called into an old Victorian pub on Drury Lane before going to our show, and while knocking back a pint or two of London Pride, I looked around me at all the theatre memorabilia dating back maybe a century or so, and wondered what kind of characters must have sat in my very seat drinking just as I was.

The idea fascinated me. Actors, musicians, writers, politicians? Almost certainly. Gangsters, thieves, murderers, fraudsters? Quite possibly. Thinking of what those four walls have seen in all the years the pub has been running sparked my interest. But it was the collection of rather ghastly looking clown masks behind the bar made me want to develop my interest into a story. I felt uneasy as I looked up at them and wondered what it would be like to be alone in the bar in the dead of night and see one move it's eyes, even talk to you...

And so 'A Matter of Destiny' was born. Please do check it out and feel free to let me know your thoughts. And maybe next time you're in an old pub, or indeed any old building, have a little think who and what those four walls have seen. What might even still be there. Watching. Listening. Waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment