Tuesday 16 October 2018

One step at a time

Well, I'm back on the horse again.

I have to say that writing fiction after a few years of almost total inactivity is proving harder than I expected. The words come slowly, the ideas are starting to come, but they're not bursting onto the page in the way they were when I was becoming prolific.

I guess exercising the mind in a creative fashion is much like physical exercise in the sense that it takes time to build up. Just try blasting out a set of press ups after not doing them for a few years. At first, you'll only be able to do a few, they'll be hard, and you'll ache afterwards. But keep at it, and you'll get stronger and faster. It will, I hope, work that way with my writing.

I've planned out the first story of my comeback (see my recent posts), and have begun, tentatively, to write it. It's daunting, but exciting. I'm going to finish this story by Halloween. Whether it turns out to be any good remains to be seen, but finishing a short story after everything I have had to contend with. When it's finished more will come. Lots more.

No comments:

Post a Comment